Split rhubarb transplants
My Craig’s list search worked! I got two replies and one of them panned out. The folks were thrilled to get rid of plants that they had no use for and to not end up with big holes where they were.
I got three overgrown plants that were too far gone to try to transplant. I did it anyway. For the cost of three bags of soil, which was less than one of the many nursery pots of rhubarb I bought, I got three huge plants.
I brought them home split them and planted them. Now we can cross our fingers, treat them well, and hope that few of my new splits make a go of it. Next year at this time I will have at least a couple new plants, if I am lucky more than that.
Well sort of. Mine is still leaves just poking out of the ground, but for lots of folks the season of the “pie plant” is upon us.
I have tried over and over in my dry poor soil to get rhubarb to take and as of now have only succeeded once. I have read everything about how to improve my success and tried almost every suggestion hairbrained or not.
I have now decided to try a different approach. Instead of buying little plants grown who knows where and trying to get it to take, I put a posting on Craig’s list offering a bag of soil in exchange for anyone who wants to get rid of rhubarb they may have at their home. We will go dig the plants they no longer want and put a bag of soil in the hole we leave behind. Sounds like a winner to me. Whatever they get it is already proven in this climate. The cost of a bag of soil is less than the cost of an unproven potted plant. Their soil may be different than what I have, but I am banking on my personal compost to give my soil enough enrichment to make it take.
Today I got an email from someone who is interested in my swap. Cross your fingers that I may end up with enough rhubarb that in the not to distant future I can have all the pie, crisp, cobbler, bread, stew, jam and anything else I can think of made with rhubarb I grew.