Time for an update on the quest making an original water fountain. My main piece of slate has been trimmed down and is fitting in my pot. It all looks pretty good at this point. I had this idea of it being slate mounted on stones between each layer. At this moment I am not so sure. It maybe that the stones I have are too thick. I will have to survey the river rocks the next time I am at the mall parking lot and see if there are some that are very thin that may serve my purpose better than any of the stones I currently have.
Now is the time to drill holes through the slate so I can run tubing up from my pump which will rest in the bottom of my bowl. I love power tools and this is going to let me be in my element. I used a concrete drill bit and and a hose with a trickle of water. The water is used to keep the bit cool and to flush away the dust and bits of slate that come about as part of the drilling.
It worked perfectly. I had concerns because slate is made of layers and is easily fractured. I put my slate on a piece of 3/8 inch plywood when drilling. It provided a support base and something for the drill to hit
I got so in to the drilling that I decided to drill a hole through a little bowl I got at a thrift store. I am hoping to put a fern in the little bowl. I felt that I may be able to include the bowl with a fern it as part of the fountain. I used the concrete drill bit on the bowl because it was easier than taking time out to find a porcelain drill. It was a matter of being in a big hurry. It worked though the bottom of my bowl though the hole was a bit crude. Lesson learned in the future take time to get the right bit for the job.
Now is time to clean up my mess from drilling I need to drain my garden hose since snow is called for again and put Ranger Sir’s power tools all back where I found them. I am getting close and my impatience will take me to the prototype phase very quickly. Keep watch for the next steps.