This week I am on the road for work. On Sunday I took stock of what was in my refrigerator that Ranger Sir would not use while I was gone. In general that is an easy question, vegetables. He does not turn up his nose at eating them if I fix them, but they are not on his top ten list of things he would take to a deserted island.
I was now looking to solutions that would prevent waste. Here is what I came up with:
- Pattypan squash became two mini loaves of zucchini bread. One to keep and one for the freezer.
- Bananas became 3 mini loaves of oat bran bread. One to keep and two for the freezer.
- cauliflower and broccoli were blanched and went to the freezer for soup this winter
- mango, pears and plums went on the dehydrator for my next granola.
- I threw the last of the yogurt in the strainer. He will used strained yogurt in place of sour cream on potatoes.
He started the week with a relatively empty refrigerator that goes perfection with toast cheese, tomato soup, crock pot dinner and whatever else his heart desires. He had two quick breads to satisfy his sweet tooth.
Sometimes you just have to take a step back and attack your problems differently.